Should You Be Worried About Oral Bacteria?
If you’re like me, you grew up with a notion that bacteria in your mouth was to be avoided at all costs. We believed those commercials that told us how alcohol-containing mouthwashes were a good way to reduce all that “bad bacteria.” What we didn’t realize is that our mouths actually contain over 700 kinds of bacteria, some of which are “bad,” yes, but a lot of which are truly beneficial.
Today, scientists call this diverse, delicately balanced bacteria colony our “oral microbiome.” And as we’re discovering, it plays a key role in our overall health, making it very important to do all we can to keep our oral bacteria healthy, balanced and thriving.
Why Should I Care About My Oral Microbiome?
As so aptly stated by AskTheDentist.com, “What happens in the mouth, happens in the body.”
According to a study published in British Dental Journal, a healthy oral microbiome contributes to an amazing variety of bodily functions, including:
- Food digestion and nutrition.
- Energy generation.
- Metabolic regulation and control of fat storage.
- Processing and detoxing of environmental chemicals.
- Helping to maintain skin and mucosal barrier function.
- Development and regulation of the immune system, along with pro- and anti-inflammatory processes.
- Prevention of disease-promoting microorganisms.
Conversely, an imbalance in your oral microbiome—whether it’s due to poor diet, poor oral hygiene or other health issues—can lead to inflammation and illness. An imbalance of oral bacteria has been linked to such conditions as rheumatoid arthritis, GI tract disorders, various forms of cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, heart disease, diabetes, adverse pregnancy outcomes, depression and anxiety.
Clearly, the benefits of a healthy, balanced oral microbiome go way beyond simply white teeth and fresh breath, nice as those are. That’s why I’m happy to announce two new Norwex products that will have you grinning from ear to ear. Not only do they help support your oral microbiome, but they also work to give you whiter teeth and fresher breath, too!
Watch the video to learn about our new Lysere™ Probiotic Whitening Toothpaste.
Lysere™ Probiotic Whitening Toothpaste: This triple-acting toothpaste is chock full of beneficial, bacteria-pleasing ingredients like:
- Lactobaccillus Paracasei, a probiotic that supports the mouth’s beneficial bacteria and a healthy oral microbiome.
- White Binchotan Charcoal, to remove unhealthy buildup and stains as it gently whitens teeth without the harsh bleaches and/or abrasive chemicals of commercial tooth-whitening products. No messy dark charcoal either.
- Xylitol, to help inhibit bad bacteria that can settle on your teeth and gums while leaving the good bacteria intact.
- Essential oils of Cornmint Leaf and Peppermint, to naturally freshen your breath.
- All in a 100% biodegradable sugarcane tube!
Watch the video to learn about our new Lysere™ Advanced Antioxidant Mouthwash.
Lysere™ Advanced Antioxidant Mouthwash: It guards against dry mouth and promotes healthy teeth and gums with ingredients such as:
- Lingonberry Seed Oil and Vitamin C, super antioxidants that support your overall oral health as they help neutralize free radicals.
- Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, another amazing antioxidant that also helps moisten and guard against dry mouth, a leading cause of bad breath.
- Xylitol, to help inhibit bacteria that causes bad breath.
- Essential oils of Spearmint and Peppermint, to naturally refresh and invigorate the mouth.
- Notice what’s missing? Alcohol! Our mouthwash is completely free from harsh, drying alcohol that indiscriminately kills good and bad bacteria alike.
“Lysere” is the Norwegian word for “light” and when you combine our powerful toothpaste and mouthwash with the Adult Silver Care Toothbrush, you really do have a complete oral care package that will surely light up your smile!
The Adult Silver Care Toothbrush features a replaceable bristle base in your choice of soft or medium. These silver-coated bases are activated when wet, eliminating up to 99.9% of the bacteria commonly found on toothbrushes, which cause plaque, cavities and gingivitis. As the bristles dry, the brush is sanitized!
Look for more posts soon about other exciting new Norwex products. And remember, you’re never fully dressed without your bright smile so flash those pearly whites every chance you get!